What You Can Expect From A Discerning Childbirth® Teacher Training
Our childbirth educator training program is a two-tiered program. You can take a separate 2 day training for Tier I, and then another 2 day training for Tier II, or you can take a 4 day training that includes both.
Tier I is designed for those who are already a birth educator. You may attend just the first two classes of the teacher training workshop. These 2 days include where are you in your faith, connection to Christ and integration of faith with the childbirth classes. You will also need to show us proof of your previous training and/or certifications. If you have been an independent teacher, and cannot provide us with proof of training/certification you may test out on the basic birth information, and provide 5 letters from people who have attended your classes.
In this tier of training we will cover the following topics:
1. Establishing Your Biblical Mindset
2. Faith vs. Fear
3. Integration of Faith into Birth Education
4. Connecting to Care
5. Connecting to God for His best birth plan
6. Teaching Styles
7. Communication Styles
8. Choices for a Discerning Childbirth® Seminar
a. What is covered in this seminar
b. How to teach a Choices for a Discerning Childbirth® seminar
9. Exercises (Will be taught throughout the workshop)
When you finish this 2 days of training you will be prepared to teach the 12-hour Choices for a Discerning Childbirth seminar.
The required registration fee to reserve your spot is $50. The cost for this tier only is $300. Payment is expected in full by the beginning of the workshop. If you are not able to pay the full amount by the start of the workshop, please call our office to discuss payment options. It is our desire to work with anyone regardless of ability to pay.
Tier II is for those who are new to teaching birth classes. You would attend all 4 days of the workshop. In addition to what is covered above in Tier I, we will cover the following topics in days 3 & 4 of your workshop.
2. Problems of Pregnancy
3. Touch Relaxation
4. Dad’s Role
5. The Spirituality of Labor
6. How Labor Works
7. Signs of Labor Changes
8. The Natural Alignment Plateau
9. Supporting a Laboring Mom
10. Second Stage Labor
11. Good Positions for a Good Labor
12. Being a Great Husband and Father during Labor and Birth
13. Variations in Labor
14. Medical Interventions
15. Cesarean Section, When and Why
16. Coping with a Cesarean
17. VBAC—Vaginal Birth After a Cesarean
18. Unexpected Unattended Childbirth
19. Newborn Appearance
20. Immediate Postpartum Concerns
21. Settling In
22. The Post Birth Care Plan
The registration for this track, which includes both tiers is $695 (includes both Tier One and Tier Two).
Price Comparison Chart
When considering the value of what you will receive from a Discerning Childbirth® teacher training, below is the cost of taking a teacher training from other popular organizations. None of this will include Biblical, spiritual foundations for you and your clients.
Birth Arts International $450 +additional required training
Birth Boot Camp $1195
Birthing From Within $1200
Childbirth International $915
Informed Beginnings $700
LaMaze $700+additional required training
Plumtree Baby $400
The Childbirth Professional $450
The cost of this Tier is $395 for a total cost for new teachers of $695
A $100 registration fee is required to reserve your spot in the training. The balance is expected by the time you start the workshop. Keep in mind that we at Dunamas® Center Ministries believe in providing quality support and training regardless of ability to pay. So, if you need to make arrangements for a payment plan please call us and discuss options.
Teacher Training Requirements
Teacher training requirements
1. Take the workshop and pass all tests (Both)
2. Have a signed disclosure on file. We will review, and have you sign this the first day. (Both)
3. Read the materials on the reading list/s and do write ups (Both)
4. Interview teachers, doulas, care providers, and birthing facilities, etc (Tier Two)
5. Report of class and seminar observations (Tier Two)
6. Write your teaching outlines (Both)
7. Weekly Class Reports (Tier Two)
8. Student Evaluations (Both)
9. Complete the Final Exam (Tier Two)
Details of teacher training requirements
1. Register for the workshop here.
2. The disclosure statement has been read and signed and on file with Dunamas® Center Ministries
3. Reading Lists: In addition to reading Choices for a Discerning Childbirth™ and Preparation for a Discerning Childbirth® (by Dr. Pauline Dillard, and included in your teacher training),
a. you will need to read the books on the list for Tier One and Tier Two based on which level of training you are taking.
b. For each book you read submit a 3-5 page review of the book, emphasizing the key points you learned and whether or not you would recommend this book to your students, and why or why not.
c. Tier One students only need to do the reading list for that level, Tier Two students need to read all books.
Tier One Reading List
Lord of the Birth (Jennifer Vanderlaan)
Leadership and Self-Deception (The Arbinger Institute)
Any good book on confronting your fear from a Biblical Perspective
Tier Two Reading List
Expecting Trouble (Thomas Strong, Jr., M.D.)
Born in the U.S.A. (Marsden Wagner, M.D., M.S.)
Pushed (Jennifer Block)
Creating Your Birth Plan (Marsden Wagner, M.D., M.S.)
Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th Rev. Edition) (La Leche League)
4. Print Questionnaires from the Resources page on the website and do as many as are available in your area. Phone interviews are acceptable, except for the hospital and birth center evaluations. Bring copies of your filled out questionnaires to the workshop, or send them in before your on line webinar starts.
5. You are required to observe another childbirth educator. Because we know that there are not any Discerning Childbirth® classes available at this time, observe an entire class for any teacher any method in your area, or take it as an online webinar from the Dunamas® Center location. Have the teach sign off that you attended all of the classes in the series, and write a report of what was helpful to you, and what you found to not be helpful, or what you would not want to include in your birth classes.
You are also required to observe a Choices for a Discerning Childbirth® seminar. Again, we know that you will not be able to find a Discerning Childbirth® seminar at this time. See if anyone in your area is teaching any type of choices for childbirth class and attend that class. Have the teacher sign off that you were there. Again, write a paper about what you liked and didn’t like about the seminar.
6. Read the Choices for a Discerning Childbirth® workbook and create a teaching outline to present this seminar in a 12 hour format regardless of how you want to set that up. Submit your teaching outline to the Dunamas® Center.
7. Have people who attend your seminar fill out a teacher evaluation and submit that as well. You will receive these forms at the workshop.
8. Read Preparation for a Discerning Childbirth™ and submit your teaching outlines to the Center.
9. As you teach your first series of birth preparation classes you will be required to fill out a weekly report. The forms will be provided for you at the workshop. Submit all 6 forms to the center.
10. When you have completed your first teacher training class, have the students in the class fill out your teacher evaluations and submit those to the center.
11. Once you have completed all of the above, complete your open book final exam and submit to the Center.
Once we have received and approved all of your work, you will receive a certificate of completion, and be posted on our web site as a teacher of Discerning Childbirth®.
You will a maximum of 12 months from the time you attend the workshop to complete all of the requirements for Tier One, and 24 months to complete all the requirements for Tier One and Tier Two.
Some people take the teacher training with the idea that they would like to teach birth classes in a Dunamas® Center. If that is your desire, then you should contact the Dunamas® Center in your area and make arrangements to meet with them before you take the teacher training. We cannot guarantee that by taking the training you will automatically be eligible to teach in a Dunamas® Center. We have procedures for having anyone work in a center and you would have to meet all of the Center requirements. Currently there is only one center located in Colorado Springs, CO.
Everyone one who works in a Dunamas® Center is also required to go through a 5 day marriage, or singles, intensive counseling with a Dunamas® Center counselor. For more information about the counseling click here.
Day 1 8:30-9 Registration
9-10:45 Session 1
11-12:30 Session 2
1:30-3:150 Session 3
3:45 4:00 Session 4
6:00-7:00 Daily Test
Additional Workshop Information
Things to Bring
Include relaxed, informal clothing and a Bible. There will be a lot of sitting on the floor and exercise movements. You will probably want to have a sweater with you no matter what time of year because we don’t always have control over the heat and air. If possible, bring a couple of pillows and a blanket to sit on. We also suggest you bring paper and pens for additional note taking. A watch with a second hand or a cell phone with a timer app will also come in handy.
Husbands are welcome to attend for no additional charge. However, it is important to let us know ahead of time if they will be with you, as again, space is limited. We think husbands should attend if possible as we find expectant couples enjoy having a husband and wife team who are informed about Christ centered, heart connected, marriage focused childbirth.
Babies and nursing mothers are encouraged to attend. There are no facilities for bottle feeding babies. You know your baby best, so if your baby will have difficulty sitting quietly for long periods of time please have a dad or babysitter available to take the baby out of the sessions when not nursing.
Teacher Training Requirements
In order to use our teaching materials, you will have to complete all teacher training requirements. These is the list of basic requirements, and they are explained in detail below:
Once you have completed the workshop you will be listed on our website as a “provisional” teacher. Once you have completed all the materials the provisional standing well be removed.
Purchasing Teaching Material
You will be allowed to purchase teaching materials to use in your provisional classes at the bulk rates unless you go past the 12 or 24 month deadlines without completing all your requirements. You will need to then maintain good standing with the Dunamas™ Center in order to continue purchasing our teaching materials.
Good Standing With the Dunamas® Center
It is our desire that you will create a birth education ministry in your area. Because ministry doesn’t often carry large financial gain, we will not require a yearly fee to maintain standing. However, your reputation as a Discerning Childbirth™ educator is important. Therefore on a yearly basis we will ask for evaluations from your students, including how you are using the materials in your classes and seminars. These evaluations will begin 1 year following the completion of your teacher training requirements. Complaints will be dealt with as they come.
Upcoming Teacher Training Seminars
All live trainings will be at:
Dunamas® Center Ministries
2143 N. Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
If you would like to register for any of our upcoming teacher training seminars click here for registration form.